LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.10 (04) [E/German]

Thu Oct 11 03:48:54 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  10 October 2007 - Volume 04

From: Mike Wintzer <k9mw at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.10 (01) [E/German]

Hi all,
Marlou wrote:
"...die Sprache von innen heraus wächst; die Nachfrage nach äußeren
Strukturen wie Schulunterricht und Straßenschildern käme dann von selbst.
Ist das jetzt zu romantisch gedacht?"
I think it is, but I'd like to know the opinion of others...
Kumpelmenten, Mike Wintzer

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Folks,

Above, Mike picks out one of Marlou's proposals cum questions, and he
wonders what others think about it.

In order to bring everyone onto the same page, please let me try to
rephrase. Marlou wonders if it's too romantic a view to see the language
grow from within itself before external structures such as formal education
and road signs enter the scene.

Right now my personal view is that both are needed almost simultaneously.
One provides the evolving body of material and the other creates an purpose
and incentive for this creation and provision.  A certain linguistic
foundation has to be there to begin with, which could be at least in part a
matter of artificial synthesis or just a framework of principles and
mechanisms. Writers would then adapt, expand and consolidate this, and this
evolving language would be taught in formal education as well, or just its
principles if there is supposed to be room for diversity.

This is what I believe happened in the case of Neo-Norwegian (Nynorsk) in
Norwegen. This model could work for Low Saxon and Scots.

Also, isn't this what by and large happened in the case of "High" German
(Standard German)? There was an element of artificiality in Martin Luther's
translation of the Bible into German, into what he envisaged as a neutral or
interregional German, picking and choosing from various dialects.  In my
opinion, he did not create "High" German as such, just had the vision and
laid the foundation to which later generations of educators and writers
added their parts, and the emerging literary and spoken varieties then
influenced each other.  Can you imagine the protests if he tried to do this
these days?