LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.11 (01) [E]

Thu Oct 11 19:24:25 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  11 October 2007 - Volume 01

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.10 (04) [E/German]

Ron, I think we can not really compare the Nynorsk (New Norwegian)
situation with LS. First, Nynorsk is spoken only in one country, Norway.
LS in Germany and the Netherlands (and some more). Second, Nynorsk
orthography is no big problem: it just uses the general spelling used for
Standard Norwegian as well, which is fit for both languages. German and
Dutch have quite different orthos, and they're both not really fit for LS.
Third, Nynorsk and Norwegian are much closer to eachother than Low Saxon
and German. Actually, Danish and Swedish are too. Fourth, Standard
Norwegian was adapted to be closer to Nynorsk itself in the past. Fifth,
the West Norwegian dialects, which formed the bases for NN, are not by far
so diverse as the Low Saxon ones are. Sixth, Nynorsk is spoken in a
relatively compact area. Etc. Still, Nynorsk isn't very successful

Ingmar