LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.10.16 (02) [E]

Tue Oct 16 17:33:17 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  16 October 2007 - Volume 02

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.10.16 (01) [D/E/V]

Ron wrote
Subject: Language varieties

   - rüg (Rügg, Rüch) [rYC] = G. Rücken ["rYk_h at n] 'back' (cogn. "ridge")
   - rüggen (Rüggen) [rYgN] = G. Rücken ["rYk_h at n] 'backs'

Our local history group is trying to piece together details about an estate
in this village that is first mentioned in 1262 as the " Rugge".

Its extent is still debated but there is a faint possibility that it
extended over two parishes and has left behind the following names:

Rodge Hill - confusingly on the Martley Ridge

Rugg's Place - now a small farm: also known over the  years as Rugg's Hole
or Rugehale or Richal or Ruggehale

Ridgend - which we suppose was the final extent of the estate as its name
would imply.

What I cannot understand is why 2 names should softened to the expected 'dg'
Rodge/Ridge but one obstinately sticks to hard 'gg'  - Ruggs

A back formation? or an old remnant ?

Heather

(Rendall)
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com >

Hi, Heather!

Interesting! If we are dealing with the same old dialect, then I would offer
my preliminary assumption that in Rugg the -e had been dropped. After all,
the -g- to -dg- shift as well as umlauting depended on a following non-low
vowel.

Are you sure that Rugg was not a proper name at the time, such as a person's
name? If not, I could see that *Rugge had become *Rugg prior to the time of
the shift.

P.S.: If this pans out, remember that you can always pay me in quinces.