LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.10.18 (03) [E]

Thu Oct 18 16:08:28 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 October 2007 - Volume 03

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com>
Subject: [LLL] usage

Hello all,

In my western US English, we use map references to refer to where we are or
where we're going. "I'm down in Mexico right now." "I hope to go up to
Phoenix for my birthday in November." "My aunt used to live back east."

Here in Mexico they really don't use those. You don't hear "Estoy aquí
arriba en Hermosillo". "Él es gringo y viene de Phoenix para abajo". They
just don't use it. What's the origin of these usages and how widespread are
they?
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Hi, Ben!

In German and Low Saxon, the equivalents for "up" and "down" are used also,
with different forms for location and direction:

   - up (north or elevated)
   - Location
      - German: oben, droben
         - Low Saxon: baven
      - Direction (movement to or from):
         - German: hinauf, herauf, rauf
         - Low Saxon: rup, rop

   - down (south or low-lying)
   - Location
      - German: unten, drunten
         - Low Saxon: ünnen
      - Direction (movement to or from):
         - German: hinunter, herunter, runter
         - Low Saxon: rünner*

* I don't think daal is used in this context. Or is it?

However, it's used far less than it is in English. I wonder if the frequency
with which it is used in English has something to do with Britain being an
island that is fairly narrow east-west but is fairly long north-south.

What I found rather strange when I moved to Seattle was that here in the
coastal parts of the Northern American Pacific Northwest (from Oregon to
Alaska) it is customary to refer to the compass directions.

Here in Seattle this makes a lot of sense because the city has been built on
a close to perfect grit with streets running east-west and avenues
north-south, and with districts referred to by the compass directions. (In
conjunction with streets being predominantly numbered, this makes it very
easy to get to previously unknown locations without a map if you get
addresses such as "1578 12th Ave. N.E." = "house No. 78 on 12th Avenue where
it is crossed by 15th Street").

However, unlike for instance in California, you always give directions by
the compass. When I don't have a map in my head (i.e., mountains = east,
ocean = west) and don't see the sun (which is more often than not) I'm often
slow in following such directions; e.g. calling on the phone: