LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.18 (04) [E]

Thu Oct 18 19:20:14 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 October 2007 - Volume 04

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.18 (01) [E]

Hello Heather Jonny, Re the meaning of E: rough. Dutch knows "ruig" meaning
wild and woolly both in the landscape sense and in the sense of looks and
behavior.  I remember going swimming in the moats of Fort Ruigenhoek near
Utrecht in the Netherlands. There is also a place called Ruigenhoek near the
dunes near Hillegom and several villages in the province of
Friesland(Ruigezand and Ruigewaard and Ruigahuizen which has the
Frisian name
Rûgehuzen). Jacqueline

----------

From: "A. van der Ploeg" <antonpap at xs4all.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.17 (02) [E]

Good evening listservers,

Concerning the name "rugge"
Wouldn 't it be also a possibillity that there is a connection with the
Dutch word "rug" (back), which means  "high area in  a more flat country.
F.e. the "Hondsrug" in the province of Drenthe? Also used "bergrug"(
mountain ridge) .
In LS  some eastern parts of the Netherlands something like "rogge"

German: Rücken
North Frisian: reeg or ruk
Danish: ryg, ryggen, bjergryggen

Anton van der Ploeg,

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hoi, Anton, and welcome!

This rug 'back' is what we had started with, i.e., Heather asked about. The
English cognate is "ridge", hence also "mountain ridge", but Modern English
"ridge" has lost its connection with "back", while in related languages the
connection survives.