LL-L "Traditions" 2007.10.18 (10) [E]

Thu Oct 18 21:58:19 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 October 2007 - Volume 10

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2007.10.16 (06) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Traditions
>
> Hoo, hoo, all ye little ghouls, ghoulettes and ghost hunters!
>
> In the Northern Hemisphere, days are growing shorter and leaves are
> falling and beginning to decay. Halloween is almost upon us. And
> where, pray, are all those postings about touches with the beyond and
> about undying seasonal traditions? Where are the paranormal parables,
> the spine-chilling stories about specters and the poems about eerie
> encounters with the unknown?
>
> Let's scare the children at least! They love to be scared.
>
> To kick it off, here's my annual offering:
>
>       * http://lowlands-l.net/groth/gruli.htm
>       * http://lowlands-l.net/groth/moor2.htm
>       * http://lowlands-l.net/groth/waak.htm
> More translated poems: http://lowlands-l.net/groth/

These sound very factual! Groth is presumably talking about actual local
ghosts?

Robert Burns is the undisputed master of gothic horror in Scots, I
think:

http://www.robertburns.org/works/308.shtml (Tam O'Shanter)
http://www.robertburns.org/works/60.shtml (Death and Dr Hornbook)
http://www.robertburns.org/works/74.shtml (Halloween)

A quick reading list of my favourite gothic classics in English...

Short stories:

W W Jacob's "The Monkey's Paw". The style is rather overblown but the
story is a humdinger.

John Polidori's "The Vampyre" - the original and still the best!

Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" (you must read the
original story - much as I admire Tim Burton and the Depp, the film is
nothing compared to it).

Oscar Wilde's "The Canterville Ghost" - both funny and scary.

Gothic novels:

"Frankenstein" by Mary Wollestonecraft Shelley. I found this book more
than just a horror/golem story, it's quite a thought-provoking book
about the nature of scientific enquiry.

"Dracula" by Bram Stoker. Enough said.

"The Monk" by Matthew Lewis - a terrible book, you must read it!

"The Woman in Black" by Susan Hill - both the novel and the film are
quite terrifying and disturbing.

Though not in English, to round out this list I think I really have to
add:

"The Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston Leroux. Very strange!

Some authors not normally associated with the genre but worth seeking
out in second-hand bookshops for the unusual horror to be discovered
amongst their minor works:

Walter de la Mare
Gerald Durrell
Lord Dunsany

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Super, Sandy! Thanks a lot!

> http://www.robertburns.org/works/308.shtml (Tam O'Shanter)

Here is a preview of my Low Saxon translation, folks:

http://sassisch.net/shanter.htm

But please don't pass it on at this point, since it will appear in print
fairly soon.

In this online version you can place (not click) your cursor on any Low
Saxon word or phrase to see German and English glosses appear. In the Scots
original you can do the same with difficult words to see English equivalents
appear.

Thanks again, Sandy!