LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.18 (08) [E]

Thu Oct 18 21:29:42 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 October 2007 - Volume 08

From: Mari Sarv <mari at haldjas.folklore.ee>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.18 (04) [E]

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.18 (01) [E]

Hello Heather Jonny, Re the meaning of E: rough. Dutch knows "ruig" meaning
wild and woolly both in the landscape sense and in the sense of looks and
behavior.  I remember going swimming in the moats of Fort Ruigenhoek near
Utrecht in the Netherlands. There is also a place called Ruigenhoek near the
dunes near Hillegom and several villages in the province of
Friesland(Ruigezand and Ruigewaard and Ruigahuizen which has the
Frisian name
Rûgehuzen). Jacqueline

Tere,

in Estonian there is word "roog" ("pilliroog", Finnish "ruoko") meaning a
plant growing at seasides, ?'thatch'. It is supposed to be common to
Baltic-Finnic and Lappish. Has it anything to do with ruig???

Mari Sarv

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Tere, Mari! Kuidas läheb?

As you know, I'm particularly interested in Germanic, especially Lowlands
Germanic, connections with Finnic.

Estonian (harilik) pilliroog and Finnish järviruoko mean 'reed' (Phragmites).
As the Finnish equivalent ("lake reed") tells you, it is connected with
lakes. So I wonder if this word came from the Urals.

English: *hréod* > reed
Frisian (Old): (*h*)*reid*
Dutch: *ried-*, *riet* > riet
Low Saxon: *hriad-* > ried > reyd (Reet)
German: (*h*)*riot* > Riet; Reet (< Low Saxon)
Germanic: *hreuðo

I suspect that Dutch ruw and ruig are related with each other and with
"rough" etc.

What is interesting is that these words all go back to Germanic *reugwo- <
Indo-European *reuk- 'to pluck', 'to reap'!

So how about the (remote) possibility of Finnic *rooko ~ *roogo (my
reconstruction, > roog, ruoko) being connected with these, either in the way
of a loan or owing to ancient common ancestry ... (!)

And there are words for 'rye': Germanic *rugo- ... I assume that the
following Finnic words for 'rye' are connected with Germanic, perhaps via a
Baltic cognate Estonian rukis, Võro rügä, Livonian riggõd, Finnish ruis (<
*rugis, genitive rukiin).

Latvian: rudzi
Lithuanian: rugys
Old Prussian: rugis