LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.24 (03) [E]

Wed Oct 24 15:37:19 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  24 October 2007 - Volume 03

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.23 (03) [E]

I don't know about their countries' official stances, but Russian,
Ukrainian, and Belarusan exist on such a dialect continuum, although the
settlement of ethnic Russians in western Ukraine during the Soviet period
probably served to accentuate some differences between Russian and
Ukrainian.  I would guess (although I don't know) that the Ukrainian
government probably does as much as it can to emphasize the differences as
well, in an effort to counteract decades of Russian dominance.

Kevin Caldwell

Were it not for the international border and Sweden's refusal to recognize
any Scandinavian minority language within its borders, Scanian of Southern
Sweden and Danish would probably be considered one language now. As in the
case of Low Saxon, separatists point toward differences as a result of
separation to justify the separation.

In the absence of the international border, Galician of northwestern Spain
and Portuguese of Portugal would probably be considered one language, as
linguists do. Again, there is a dialect continuum, though existing under
Spanish power has resulted in Castilian influences on Galician.

Any other such cases?