LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.10.25 (06) [E/German]

Thu Oct 25 21:56:12 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 October 2007 - Volume 06

From: Danette & John Howland <dan_how at msn.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.10.25 (03) [D/E]

Hi, Ron.

You recently wrote:
""Village" and Dorf, for instance, yes, started off within a definite rural
context, but I feel that there are now differences in the way they are
used."

And also:
"But then again, we get differences in what "town" means in different
English dialects. In American English it tends to include what in Europe is
"village" (even places with only a handful of houses), and Americas tend to
use the word "village" only in "Old World" contexts ( e.g., "quaint English
village," "Bavarian village dance").  But if you say "town" in Europe,
people think of smaller cities or, in the American context, larger towns.
(American "town" might be closest in meaning to German Ort or Ortschaft.)

This got me thinking about the peculiar way we use the word "village" in
Alaska to mean what would otherwise be called towns in U.S. English. In
Alaska a "fishing village" is an unincorporated township in which fishing is
the main thrust of the economy. More often, when we refer to "my village,"
"the village," or "village Alaska" we mean Native American settlements (I
think I prefer the word "settlings"). This usage suggests that, to early
English-speaking euroalaskans, native settlements were perceived to be
different from "towns."

As in some other parts of the country, I believe the only form of municipal
incorporation is the city--there are officially no townships. This means
that some of our "cities" are villages only big enough to have a post
office.

Be well.

John