LL-L "Morphology" 2007.10.27 (03) [E]

Sat Oct 27 17:55:58 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  27 October 2007 - Volume 03

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.10.26 (05) [E]

> From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder < ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
> Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2007.10.26 (02) [E]
>
> I wonder if the popular realisation of -ing as -in' in English may be
> the
> key here...
> I suppose, older English had an equivalent of -end in stead of -ing,
> as in
> German, Dutch, Scandinavian and all other Germanic languages.
> So let's assume, -ing was abbreviated to -in', and -end to -en' in
> spoken
> colloquial English at the same time. This must have led to confusion
> and
> merging between -in' and -en':
> I am warnend thee => I am warnen' thee.
> I give thee a warning => I give thee a warnin'.

Older Scots writers (say, 17th century and earlier) distinguished
between -ing and -and, however, some writers make more sense to me than
others on this.

>From Sanders Montgomerie's "The Cherrie and the Slae
(
http://scotstext.org/makars/alexander_montgomerie/the_cherrie_and_the_slae.asp
read "quh" as "wh", "z" as "y" and "-is" as a morphological "-s"
ending):

15
[...]
Then came I granand to the ground,
   Freind welcome hame quod he:
       Quhair flew ze, quhome slew ze,
           Or quha bringis hame the buiting:
       I sie now, quod he now,
           ze haif bene at the schuting.

You'll notice "granand" (groaning) versus ""buiting" and "schuting".

By the 20th century I think the distinction was confined to dialects of
the Scottish Borders (quite a vast area, actually, though sparsely
populated), I heard it when I was a child when visiting relatives in
Hawick, so it might be that it still persists. The modern pronunciation
is "-an" and "-in" (both short) and some 20th century writers have
written it this way. Some because that's how they speak and any other
way just sounds wrong, some in what seems to be more an effort at
reversing language shift.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/