LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.30 (01) [E]

Tue Oct 30 15:19:54 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  30 October 2007 - Volume 01

From: "Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong" <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.28 (05) [E]

Hello Jonny, You say: "For my opinion it made a funny metamorphosis from O.E.
'to mislead', 'to hinder', 'to go astray' to its modern meaning 'to live',
'to exist' , 'to lie (upon)'. In modern Dutch

we know both "dwalen"  and "ronddwalen: as to roam and "verdwalen" as to get
lost. Since we can assume that in those very difficult times one had to
"dwaal" a long time before one could find a place to "dwell" (is that not a
perfect Ablaut?), and that if one did not find a place to dwell one was
"verdwaald" = lost. At least that part makes sense.

 You then say: , but in our LS: 'dweylen', 'dweelen' means G: 'schwanken',
'schlingern', 'umherwandern' (preferably used for the movements of a drunken
person), E: 'to wobble', 'to roll', 'to ramble'. An LS noun 'dweul' is G:
'Feudel', 'Mop', E: 'mop', and in Dutch 'dwelen(??)' also means E: 'to clean
with a mop'.

I would like to propose that if you see someone who is bent over and
cleaning the floor with a heavy piece of heavy fabric by swaying side to
side with one's backside (We call this action "dweilen" and the fabric  is
called a "dweil" ) it is not a pretty sight.

            On the other hand we have the word "dwaal" with meanings of
altarcloth, towel or napkin as an alternative form for "dweil"

            Van Dale gives the following etymology for both words: MD dwale,
dwael, dwele; MLG: dwele; OHG dwahlia, dwehila (towel) to go with dwahal
(bath) going back to gothic words for bath, baptism. In other words,
"dweilen" is giving the floor a bath with an old cloth.

At least it makes sense to me. Greetings Jacqueline