LL-L "Phonology" 2007.10.30 (02) [E]

Tue Oct 30 15:21:55 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  30 October 2007 - Volume 02

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2007.10.28 (06) [A/E/LS]

Hi all,

Ingmar, I do not know of any Afrikaans variety where 'huis' is pronounced
[hy:s] or 'uit' is pronounced [y:t]. It is [hœys] and [œyt]. (I hope the IPA
symbols show).

In the Western Cape 'huis' is pronounced as /heis/ and 'uit' is pronounced
as /eit/, as are ui> /ei/ (onion); 'buite' > /beite/ (outside). In the
northern cities, the tendency is to say > /hais/, /ait/ /baite/.

It might interest you too that in these northern cities (Johannesburg,
Pretoria), words such as kyk /keik/, sy /sei/, my /mei/ are being pronounced
as /kaik/, /sai/, mai/.

These latter changes have already occurred in the 1960's and were pointed
out to me by my cousins in the Northwestern Cape, who said that our
Afrikaans sounded to them 'as if it was Ingels'. Currently, my
children, nieces and nephews (ages 31 down to 10) all speak like this and
the changes are now very pertinent to me.

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder < ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2007.10.28 (01) [E]

Ja en nee. I'm talking about uu [y], but the uu that is normally 'ui' in
Afrikaans and Dutch in wrds like uit, huis etc., but not is several
Afrikaans varieties where it is uut, huus etc. So no diphthong here. But
the same variety does have Afrikaans y / Dutch ij in words like kyk, sy
etc, and not ie. In Dutch dialects, it is ij + ui, or ie + uu, but not one
diphthong and one monophthong.