LL-L "Translation" 2008.04.06 (04) [E]

Sun Apr 6 17:59:12 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 06 April 2008 - Volume 04
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Obiter Dictum <obiterdictum at mail.ru>
Subject: LL-L "Translation" 2008.04.04 (02) [E]

Heather wrote:
> I learnt recently ( tho' not on 1st April - thanks Jonny!) that solicitors
> used to be paid by the line - so it was in their interest to be long
winded
> and repetitive and make documents as long as possible.
> Can anyone confirm this?

Not exactly, especially these days. We lawyers bill and get paid for the
time we spend (or say we spend) tending to our client matters--irrespective
of results, unless we agree on contingency fees, and irrespective if you
follow our advice (if it's advice and not representing in court), or not.
This includes writing (letters and memos, and pleadings). Writing could
account for up to 95% of billable time when lawyers wrote with quills. Now
it is much less: we pull our model docs from model libraries on our
computers, or use precedent docs, and customize them for new clients' needs.

> It would be a good example of a style of language
> having been called into being by money!

That's true only half true.;-)

> so it was in their interest to be long winded
> and repetitive and make documents as long as possible

It is also in the interest of the client if her transaction ends up in
court. In common-law juristictions lawyers are trained to regard any
transaction as a potential disaster that the dumb layman irrestibly tends to
end up in court with! :-)

Groete,
Vlad Lee/Toyotomi Ri