LL-L "Translation" 2008.04.07 (01) [E]

Mon Apr 7 16:23:31 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 April 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Obiter Dictum <obiterdictum at mail.ru>
Subject: LL-L "Translation" 2008.04.03 (06) [E]

> From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Translation" 2008.04.03 (02) [A/E]
>
> Dear Vlad, Luc, Ingmar, Ron &All
>  Beste Vlad:
> onderwerp: "Translation"
>
> Howzat, Lee?
>
> Sjoe!!!!!
> Jeees!!!
>
> Yrs, very-very-very humbly (cap in hand)--
Lee

(PS: Mark, it took me a weeked and three scotches to come round.  In the
meantime, the stuff is EXPENSIVE here ;)

(((hugs)))

Vladislav Lee

----------

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>

Heather wrote: "I learnt recently ( tho' not on 1st April - thanks Jonny!)
that solicitors used to be paid by the line - so it was in their interest to
be long winded and repetitive and make documents as long as possible."

I don't remember who I heard this from (I may have heard it on the Lowlands
list), but here goes.  After the Norman invasion and rule, lawyers had to
include descriptions of land or property conveyed in both English and Norman
French.  Instead of making two documents they made only one with references
from both languages.  Therefore, the redundancy of many words to describe
one thing.  I would suppose it went something like this:  John Doe, owner or
proprietor of said house or maison…

Mark Brooks