LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.08 (03) [E]

Tue Apr 8 20:21:59 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 April 2008 - Volume 03
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.07 (07) [E]

From wim verdoold

wkv at home.nl

Zwolle city Netherlands

Hi,

 The s probably stands for "son"

Same in dutch names.

wim
----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>

Ben J. Bloomgren <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com> asks:

> What is the origin of the suffix ins/kins in names? Charles Dickens,
> Jenkins, Cummins, Pickins etc? It seems like it would have been some sort of
> genitive maybe. I hear those suffixes all over the place in surnames.

Could it be related to the Slavic relative suffix *-ин* -in (a close second
to -*ов* -ov), also found in surnames (both the political psuedonums *Ленин
*Lenin 'of Flax', and *Сталин* Stalin 'of Steel', but also the real family
names of the great classical writer *Пушкин* Pushkin 'of the cannon', *
Распутин* Rasputin 'of a branch in the road (?)', the presidents
*Путин*Putin 'of ' and
*Ельцин* Yeltsin 'of ??' (an etymology doesn't come to mind ...) and Prime
Minister *Косыгин* Kosygin 'of ??? (again a blank...)', the philosopher *Б**
ах**т**ин* Bakhtin 'of Good Fortune' (assuming the bakht- is an Iranic
root!), the artist *Репин* Repin 'of a raddish', the communist political
economist *Бухарин *Bukharin 'of Bukhara',  the Nobel rise-winning author *
Бунин* Bunin 'of ??' (an etymology doesn't come to mind for that one
either...), one of MY favorite Russian poets *Есенин* Yesenin 'of Spring(?
... a South Slavic(?) form of the Slavic root)', the first cosmonaut into
space *Гагарин* Gagarin 'of ???' (I assume a NON-Slavic root ... or
something onomatopoeic, etc) and hundreds of other famous Russians' surnames
(*Столыпин* Stolypin, *Солженицын* Solzhenitsyn, *Минин* Minin,
*Никулин*Nikulin,
*Сусанин* Susanin, *Шаляпин* Shalyapin, *Яшин* Yashin, *Боткин* Botkin, *
Державин* Derzhavin, *Зыкина* Zykina, *Потемкин* Potemkin, *Разин* Razin,
from a list of "most famous" Russians)? ... It forms possessive adjectives
from personal and kinship nouns *Миш**инм* 'Mike's', *ам**ин* mamin 'mom's'.
... If related the Germanic would have this relational suffix PLUS a
genitive -*s*.

MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक || માઈક || ਮਾਈਕ
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation
Mumbai (Bombay), India
++++++++++++++++
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.)
मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर
ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )
++++++++++++++++
茂流岸マイク(言語学博士)
イシャラ基金の専務理事・事務局長
ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.07 (05) [E]

श्री श्री लक्ष्मियै नम:

Reinhard suggests:

> We need to ascertain the correspondences of Sanskrit क्ष *kṣ* in Europe.

Within Indic the retroflex *ṣ* is due a general phonetic rule (similar to
the so-called "ruki" rule of Slavic, but with slightly different outcome)
where *s* is retracted after a vowel other than long or short *a* (i.e.
after *i* or *u* or one of the "diphthongs" ending in same) and also after a
velar stop. So we have a simple Indic *-**kṣ-* < IE *-ks-*.

In a broader Indo-European (and thus European) context, Mallory & Adams (The
Oxford Introduction to proto-Indo-European and the proto-Indo-European
World, 2006) mention that "[a]ttempts to also include [with OE *leax*, NE *
lox*, OHG *lahs*, Lith *lašis*, Russ *лосось* losos', Tocharian *laks*, etc]
a range of Indic cognates (e.g. *lāk**ṣ**ā*- 'lac', if *'reddish' <
*'salmon-coloured') have also been widely discussed." for this root, IE
itself has the palatal velar reconstructed: *lók^s-* ... which, based on the
general CVC structure of IE roots would  come from *lók^- + -s-*, though of
course before a voiceless suffix the k^ could come from g^ or labial (or
aspirate?) varieties of the same. And, since *l* and *r* are "confused" in
Sanskrit, it could also be related to a root with *r-* instead of *l-*, as
for instance: *rekh**ā* ~ *lekh**ā* 'scratch, line' < IE **reik-* related to
NE *row* ... and easily (?) connected to the forms Heather mentions.)

And, what is the relation of the above to IE **lōk^-* for 'weasel' (Latvian
*luoss*, Russ *ласка*, Persian *rās**ū*)? Are weasels too red?

MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक || માઈક || ਮਾਈਕ
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation