LL-L "Phonology" 2008.04.16 (02) [E]

Wed Apr 16 14:32:00 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  - 16 April 2008 - Volume 02
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.04.15 (02) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

   1. Many speakers of Australia, New Zealand and certain parts of
   England, and also of "good" England English, pronounce "brought" as "bought"
   (e.g. "My dad bought this back from Italy last year.") What's this one
   about?

Thanks for thinking about it and for sharing your ideas.

I've certainly heard it, but always put it down to simple
grammatical/lexical error. Like the common confusion of the use of "affect"
and "effect".

But a lot of south-eastern English and some middle-class "standard" forms
have a very weak "r" sound, almost tending to a "w" - "We're all Bwitish
here!". TV personality Jonathan Ross has the trait, and makes a bit of a
feature of it (he's known in the media as "Wossie". If you're listening for
"brought" and hear "bwought", you probably miss the consonant altogether.

Paul Finlow-Bates

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Paul.

I can certainly see some consistency in the mentioned Southeastern English
varieties (with which I'm familiar). But in other varieties it seems to be
only this word that is pronounced this way. Perhaps it started off as a
Southeastern English loan that spread. I hear it a lot from Australians and
also from English people that otherwise don't have the "weak r" (which does
occur in North America, albeit in idiolects, like that of Barbara Walters,
a.k.a. Baba Wawa, who does it with "r" and "l").