LL-L "Language learning" 2008.04.18 (02) [E]

Fri Apr 18 15:06:41 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 18 April 2008 - Volume 02
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2008.04.16 (04) [E]

Muy apreciada Heather y demás abajeños,

Although all modern languages have evolved through blunder and ignorance,
even by royals, all of us perfectionists who love languages are offended
when we observe this process in action.

In Puerto Rican Spanish one hears "entre tú y yo"--perhaps aping English
speakers. Neither pronoun "can be" object of a preposition. It is a little
weird to say "contigo y conmigo" because of the arbitrary fusion of
preposition and pronouns. That leaves only "con nosotros" for us elitists.

Oh well...GRRRRRRRRR!

Jorge Potter

Heather wrote:

i.e.  you and I - there seems to be an overwhelming feeling throughout the
UK media that 'you and me' is wrong 100% of the time and that at all times '
you and I' should be used. this leads to EVEN RADIO 4's Today programme
presenters saying " between you and I"  "for you and I"   GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!