LL-L "Names" 2008.04.28 (01) [E]

Mon Apr 28 16:44:08 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 28 April 2008 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2008.04.27 (01) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Dear Lowlanders,

I know some people in Australia that pronounce the personal name "Basil" as
"Bazzle" but pronounce the name of the herb "basil" as "BAY-zl".

How far spread is this pronunciation distinction?

I noticed that a few times; I assume it is to maintain a distinction, so you
don't think they're chopping bits of poor old Baz into the lasagna.

Never heard it anywhere else, though I've occasionally heard the plant
called something like "BAA-sill" in southern Middle Class England,
presumably for the same reason.

Paul Finlow-Bates

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Paul. *Where* did you hear them distinguished though?