LL-L "Phonology" 2008.04.28 (02) [E]

Mon Apr 28 17:02:19 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 28 April 2008 - Volume 02

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: Re: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.04.27 (02) [E]

Well, English is not the only one, at least before nasal clusters.
Modern Frisian has long vowels in words like wyn, hûn, keunst etc (< wind,
hund, kunst). Many Low Saxon dialects in the Netherlands have: wiend,
kiend, guunst (< wind, kind, gunst), also present in some varieties of
South Guelders, Limburgish, Flemish. Brabantish has kijnd, keind. Twente
Low Saxon has roond, geunst, keend etc. Standard Dutch has fewer examples,
but eind/einde (< end/ ende) is one of them.
In these dialects, it has nothing to do with schwa dropping, it's just a
phonological lengthening before nasal clusters.
Lengthening also occurs with rhotic clusters in many NL dialects:
haard, waarm etc (< hard, warm), but usually not with L...

Ingmar