LL-L "Names" 2008.04.28 (03) [E]

Mon Apr 28 19:22:15 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 28 April 2008 - Volume 03

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2008.04.28 (01) [E]

I'm pretty sure "Standard American" is
name: Bay-zil
herb: bazzle
That's how I've always heard it.
Stan

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>

re: the name Basil as well as the herb, I am NOT sure that REAL
Americans were familiar with either. And by REAL Americans I mean, of
course, the folks down home (as opposed to BACK home) when I was
growing up (though of course, being a military brat, I was only ever
down home for 2 weeks in the summer). (Down home, iffn ya'll don't
remember, is Ferrum, Virginia (mom's side of the family) and Davy,
West Virginia (dad's side))

I doubt seriously if I ever tasted or saw or heard of the herb till my
late teens (meaning the early-to-mid 1970's ... and YES, once we
Americans took to that tasty foreign herb I have NEVER heard it
referred to by Americans as anything other than BAY-zl).

As for the NAME, Basil is NOT a particularly American name, and so the
ONLY person by that name that I ever heard mention of growing up was
Basil Rathbones, the South African-turned-Hollywood actor, famous for
a number of movies in the 1930's (LONG before MY time!) and known to
ME and my ilk for his role as Sherlock Holmes, opposite Nigel Bruce's
Dr Watson. And HIS name was always pronounced Bazzl. Maybe that is
because he was a foreigner ... indeed as I said I can't rightly say
HOW Americans of my parent's generation pronounced either, because
they probably never HEARD of either.

AT home ... in Bombay.

MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक  || માઈક || ਮਾਈਕ
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation
Mumbai (Bombay), India
++++++++++++++++
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.)
मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर
ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )
++++++++++++++++
茂流岸マイク(言語学博士)
イシャラ基金の専務理事・事務局長
ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hmmm ... I suppose certain English names are fairly rare in the US and more
educated Americans associate them with Britain, such as also Amanda, Cyril,
Duncan, Emma, Gemma, Gordon, Graham, Neville, Nigel, Nola, Penelope, Simon,

I do find it interesting that in Britain names are used that go back to
Byzanthium, names whose equivalents are mostly used in Orthodox Christian
regions:

Greek Βασίλειος (*Vasíleios *"kingly one") > Basil (e.g., Russian Василий *
Vasilij*)
Greek Κύριλλος (*Kýrillos *"lordly one") > Cyril (e.g., Russian Кирилл *
Kirill*)