LL-L "Etymology" 2008.08.05 (01) [E]

Tue Aug 5 15:05:39 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 August 2008 - Volume 01

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.08.04 (07) [LS/German]

Hallo  Heiko, Wim, Arend, Ron en andere geïnteresseerden.

(continue in English). I know that the French word Amidon means starch (as
in laundry-starch). Starting from that idea, one would assume that Amidaam (
Amidam) would be in need of starch! How does that fit in? Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Jacqueline.

I bet the meaning "fainting" in extension goes back to one of those old
jokes whose meaning is now lost.

From: Jenny Kool <J.Kool at reginacoeli.nl>
Subject: [SPAM] - LL-L "Etymology" 2008.07.31 (05) [E] - Bayesian Filter
detected spam

[JHK] Elsie wrote: "May I add that, in Afrikaans we have 'heugenis'
referring to said memory, as in
the line:

"Daar was nog nooit so 'n groot bruilof in menslike heugenis nie!""

[JHK] In Dutch we can say: sinds mensenheugenis. This expression is used a
lot in fairy tales.

[JHK] Elsie also wrote:

I guess your reference also relates to A. 'gehug' (a ramshackle house),
perhaps
indicating a mere memory of the real thing?

[JHK] This reminds me of the word "gehucht", which is a very small village,
consisting of just a couple of houses. I don't think that has anything to do
with a memory of a village, as the Afrikaans 'gehug', since most of the
gehuchten have never been a bigger village. Moreover the houses in a gehucht
are, in general, not dilapidated. So I wonder whether the Afrikaans word
'gehug' and the Dutch word 'gehucht' are related and if so, how the shift in
meaning happened?

But it might have something to do with something Arthur stated:
"The *ga- *prefix was, as in modern Germanic languages, a collective, as in
Gemeente or Gesellschaft* *"* *, since it is a place where people live
together.