LL-L "Language politics" 2008.08.27 (02) [E]

Wed Aug 27 15:16:00 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 August 2008 - Volume 02

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: Language Policy

Hello Lowlanders:

A controversy has arisen here in the USA about a new policy of the Ladies
Professional Golf Association (LPGA).  They have decided to require all
foreign non-English speaking players to pass an oral test on conversational
English or they can't play in tournaments.  A batch of Korean players feel
that the LPGA has targeted them.  It has turned into quite a brouhaha.  From
an article in Newsday:

          "LPGA officials do realize they are in the entertainment business,
and business is not so hot when the winner can't communicate with her
followers. Also, amateurs pay big money to play in pro-ams. Those folks do
not believe they get their money's worth when they cannot get more than
"hello" out of the pro they're teamed with."

A link to the article
http://www.newsday.com/sports/golf/ny-spmark275818006aug27,0,6913416.column.

I used to work in the golf business (no, I'm not the PGA champ Mark Brooks)
and I have some mixed feelings about this.  I can see it as a way to promote
player-sponsor relations, but I can also see it as a way to eliminate some
important new competition.

Does any other sport or business have a language requirement like this?

Regards,

Mark Brooks