LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.08.29 (03) [E]

Fri Aug 29 22:57:23 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 August 2008 - Volume 03

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.08.28 (01) [D/E]

> From: Dirk Baack <baack at tu-harburg.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.08.27 (01) [E]
>
> Hoi Lowlanders,
>
> Yesterday I joined a discussion about family relation names. We all know
> words like mother, father, brother and sister. There are also words for
> your
> inlaws (brother-in-law) or for other generations (grandma etc.). But how
> do
> we call (in one word) the brother (Hans) of the wife (Marieke) of my
> brother
> (Jan)? So Jan is my brother, Marieke is his wife, so she is my
> sister-in-law, but how do we label the relation between me and Hans? We
> came
> up with the name schoonzusterbroer, but that is a non-existing word, isn't
> it?
>
> Is there a language in which it is possible to express this kind of
> relationship? Who can help me?
>

> Perhaps something like German "Schwippschwager"?
>
> Dirk

confer also the entry on German wikipedia:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwippschwager

According to this entry there is a legal relevance (see under
'Rechtliches'/legal aspects): the Schwippschwager (brother of one's
brother/sister-in-law, husband of one's sister-in-law) is a 'voreingenommene
Person' (Person in a conflict of interests) regarding government contracting
under EU-law according to German 'Vergaberecht'/public procurement law. But
they hardly used the word in the law  itself as the term is too diffuse.
This is also expressed in the etymological remarks, even though the entry
tends to interpret it as a reduplication.

PS.:
大姑子, 小姑子, 大姨子或小姨子的丈夫 [大姑子, 小姑子, 大姨子或小姨子的丈夫] dàgūzi, xiǎogūzi, dàyízi huò
xiǎoyízi de zhàngfu