LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.08.30 (01) [E]

Sat Aug 30 19:07:40 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 August 2008 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Dear Lowlanders,

By now, many of you will know that Missingsch is a type of (usually
low-class urban) Northern German on Low Saxon substrata.

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missingsch
          http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/missingsch-info.php

In the German Wikipedia (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missingsch) one of the
examples given of Low Saxon idiomatic usage in Missingsch is *Der ist tot
geblieben* (which probably ought to be *Der is tot geblieben*) derived from
Low Saxon (*He is dood bläven*) 'He (has) died.'

I do know that there are quite a few sorts of Missingsch and that they are
now moribund (which makes it hard to verify many descriptions).  Also, I am
most certainly familiar with the Low Saxon expression and use it myself
(literally "He has remained dead", alternative to *He is sturven* 'He (has)
died' = German *Er ist gestorben*). However, I have never come across this
expression in any type of Missingsch or any other type of Northern German
with which I'm familiar, and I'm somewhat sceptical about the authenticity.

Furthermore, at least in Hamburg Missingsch you say *er* for Standard German
*er* and Low Saxon *he* (*hey*) 'he'. In a context like this one,
*der*would correspond to SG
*der* and LS *de* (*dey*) 'that one', 'he', 'she' (emphatic, demonstrative).

More importantly in Hamburg Missingsch, unlike both SG and LS, I would say *Der
is tot gegangen* ("that one has gone dead," a somewhat childish-sounding
equivalent of *Der is gestorben*). (The closest LS equivalent of this seems
to be *De is mit Dood afgahn* "*He* has gone off with Death".)

Has any of you ever encountered the Missingsch phrase *tot bleiben*? If so,
what variety is it?

Thanks and regards,