LL-L "Orthography" 2008.12.28 (03) [E]

Sun Dec 28 17:14:09 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 December 2008 - Volume 03

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2008.12.26 (02) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Hi, Paul!

"Christ stood by the bier".

Try spelling that one phonetically!

Phonetic? That would depend on the dialect; e.g.

IPA: kraɪst ˌstʊdætðə ˈbɪɚ
SAMPA: kraIst %stUd{dD@ "bI@`

IPA: kɻaɪst ˌstʊdætðə ˈbiːɻ
SAMPA: kr\`aIst %stUd{dD@ "bir\`

*Kraist stud at ðə bir.*
or you could make it more "historical" and without "special" characters:
*Kriist stud at dhe bir.*
or with "special" characters:
*Krīst stŭd at ðĕ bir.*

Hi Ron,   My point, admittedly somewhat tongue-in-cheek, was what beer was
he standing by?   And my reference to Irish and French was to question why
English gets singled out for its "irrational" spelling when there are far
worse culprits out there? Those of us who have managed to learn to read and
write English aren't some sort of geniuses; we just did it. If the World is
truly desperate for an international language with a completely regular
grammar and spelling, learn Esperanto.

Paul

---------