LL-L "Orthography" 2008.02.05 (06) [E]

Tue Feb 5 20:57:47 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 February 2008 - Volume 06
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography"

Beste Ivison,

First of all: what a beautiful name you have!

You wrote:

Dear sirs,
How was the Modern Dutch oe /u/ ponounced in Middle Age times?

Please read the documents that I scanned from "Middelnederlandse
Spraakkunst" II. Klankleer by Dr. A. Van Loey. Sorry, but it's in Dutch:

p. 70: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df2hffj_10gswj7hc4
p. 71: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df2hffj_12gmd5xpzr
p. 72: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df2hffj_14f4hq8rdv
p. 73: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df2hffj_16cwsjnbww

I've just read that is spelled in this way because it was once a diphthong
as in Old German UO.

Definitely spelled as -uo- until the 11th century (in Brabant until the
12th), the article says. Pronunciation differed between the regions, the
(North)west (Flanders + Holland) probably used a long, very closed
monopthong ō, the (South)east said /u:/.

What about the dialects of Dutch? Is the word "boek" written and read as
in Dutch?

To my knowledge it's written as "boek" in every Dutch dialect (maybe not in
Limburgish, not sure about that). In general, nowadays, -oe- is still
pronounced very much with closed lips and rounded in the (North)west, but
much more open in the South(east), where umlaut has also worked for example
(see p. 73):

groen (D) > grüün (B)
broer (D) > brüür (B)
moe (D) > müüg (B)