LL-L "Language politics" 2008.02.05 (07) [E]

Tue Feb 5 21:00:38 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  04 February 2008 - Volume 07
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2008.02.05 (01) [E]

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2008.02.04 (04) [E]

 On 05/02/2008, at 3:06 AM, R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

 Let's assume all the Northumbrian speakers on both sides of the border did
come to an understanding, how would the government of England react? I
assume there would be little or no opposition on the part of the government
of Scotland (since it would be no fat off *their *backs).
I am not suggesting that I think such unification should happen. After all,
who am to suggest this? I am only curious to know how such a proposal would
be received by the relevant parties.
So what say the horses' mouths?

Apart from a loud 'Neigh' meaning 'Yeah' it would be great to see the area
return to Mother.
After all it was part and parcel of Scotland for quite some time. And as to
Berwick !

Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us
Tae See Oorsel's as Ithers See Us
Robert Burns

Well, if it comes to that, the Kingdom of Northumbria extended far into
present day Scotland - and the Northumbrians were definitely part of the
Angelcyn.  Lets face it, the present border is where it is, because it's
where it is.  It could have ended up 30 miles away, in either direction (or
both).  But I don't think you'd find your wish that Northumberland be part
of Scotland shared by many this side of the border; it makes no more sense
than suggesting that Lothian should be part of England -  as it might have
been.

Arbitrary? no doubt.  But ask the USA and Canada whether they think of
themselves separate countries, despite their border being more of a
map-makers whim than anything Europe could come with.

Paul Finlow-Bates