LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.24 (05) [E/German]

Tue Feb 26 04:48:17 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 25 February 2008 - Volume 05
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Gael, Ron et al,

Just in order to shed a little light on your path:

http://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/باغ <http://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%3F%3F%3F>
*
bāġ* (باغ) seems to be the origin of English "paradise"; Kluge:

*Paradies*

SnSubstantiv Neutrum std.Standardwortschatz (8. Jh.), mhd. paradIs[e],
pardIs[e], ahd. paradIs Entlehnung. Entlehnt aus spl. paradIsus m., dieses
aus gr. parádeisos m. (auch: "Park"), das auf ein iranisches Wort zurückgeht
(avest. pairi-daeza- m. Pl. "Umwallung", apers. paridaida- m. "Lustgarten,
Wildpark", npers. pAlEz "Garten", eigentlich "der Ummauerte, Umwallte"). Das
Wort kommt ins Griechische, weil Xenophon es für die Bezeichnung der Parks
persischer Adeliger und Könige gebraucht. In der griechischen Bibel
(Septuaginta) wird das Wort dann für den "Garten Eden" gebraucht, wodurch es
zu einem Terminus der christlichen Mythologie wird.

Ebenso nndl. paradijs, ne. paradise, nfrz. paradis, nschw. paradis, nisl.
Paradís.

Walz, J. A. ZDW 12 (1910), 192;
Littmann (1924), 16;
DF 2 (1942), 328f.;
Siegert (1950), 146f.;
Weimann, K.-H. DWEB 2 (1963), 400;
Lokotsch (1975), 131;
Röhrich 2 (1992), 1141f.;
LM 6 (1993), 1697-1699.  lateinisch iran

but also:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=Paradise

where you can read that paradise < pairi + *dheigh, the latter being cognate
with "dough" (dāg in Old English), so I gather that bāg may be a contraction
in some Iranian dialect?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS: The word reminded me of a famous Hindi-song: Pardesi Pardesi Jana Nahi,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRmLnYUpOaE
Here it means "stranger" ~ Sanskrit *paradēsha* = "foreign country".

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Luc. That's very interesting and *à propos*, isn't it?

It looks as though I wasn't all that far off then I wrote:

Consider Sanskrit words for "envelop," "fence off," "enclose" or
"enclosure": *paribhū *(परिभू), *parici *(परिचि), *paridhā *(परिधा), *parigrah
*(परिग्रह्), *parirudh *(परिरुध्), *paristr *(परिस्तृ), *parivrj* (परिवृज्),
*parizri* (परिज़्रि).

And the plot thickens. I never followed the word all the way back to Ancient
Iranian. Why? I stopped at Hebrew:

פַּרְדֵס *pardes*:
Biblical: park, luscious garden, park
Post-Biblical: esoteric philosophy
Modern: orange grove, orchard

It corresponds *pardesi* in Akkadian, a fellow Semitic language that went
extinct around 100 BCE, and it is ܦܪܕܝܣܐ* ~ *פרדסא *pardaysa* in Aramaic,
Hebrew's sister language. In Modern Persian and Arabic it's فردوس *firdaws*.
(I assume it's an Arabic loan in Modern Persian.)

Apparently we are dealing with an ancient Persian loan that already found
it's way into the Old Testament.

Note the semantic journey in Hebrew! It does remind one of Persian * bāġ* (
باغ), doesn't it?

And here one wonders what the difference was in Ancient Hebrew between
Persian-derived פַּרְדֵס *pardes* and apparently native בֻּסְתָּן
*bustân*(cf. Arabic بستان
*bustân* 'garden', 'orchard'), גִּנָה *gin**â**h* and גָּן *g**â**n*. All of
them can be translated as "garden," and *pardes* and *bustân* can both be
translated as "orchard."  I have a feeling that *pardes* connoted the
Persian idea of a grand, luscious garden, a ... well, paradisiacal one, that
incorporated the idea of inner space. The author of *Balashon* (