LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.04 (08) [E]

Fri Jan 4 19:24:17 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  04 January 2008 - Volume 08

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.04 (03) [E]

Hi Elsie,

You wondered:

Hi all,

It fascinates me that Afrikaans does not seem to have a cognate of

the *Indo-European: ***leudh-* 'to go freely', 'to grow'** > *leudho *
'people'.

Are A. lid / lede (member/s) perhaps related?

Lid/lede is not related (this goes back to IE **elei *'to bend'). There are
some cognates of **leudh- *in Afrikaans, though.

 - *julle *'second person plural' < *je + lie(-den). *The shift from *luuden
* to *lieden* is considered Flemish. So Afrikaans 'julle' and Dutch 'jullie'
means 'you people'.

-  *hulle* 3rd person plural = *hun +lie(den*)*. *So Afrikaans 'hulle' and
dialectic Dutch 'hulle'* *means 'them people'.

- *luier* 'diaper' (but Afrikaans speakers usually refer to 'diapers' as
'doeke').  Some etymologists think that '*luier* ' derives from this same
root **leudh-*, particularly when it means 'to grow'. So the baby grows
inside the diaper.

Best regards,

Marcel.