LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.06 (04) [E]

Sun Jan 6 22:32:39 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 January 2008 - Volume 04

From: foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu
Subject: LL-L "IPA dialect quiz"

Greetings gentle folks,

      I'm enjoying your focus on boundary-crossing words, grammar, and such.
I've mainly been into the sociopolitics of responsible language teaching
(mostly ESL/EFL) these days.  For sure, I'm getting really interested in
learning plattdeutsch though, since it is my (long lost) mother tongue.  I'm
grateful for the inspiration you hold out to diasporized folks like me. I'll
be asking more about this later, no doubt…

     But this week, I have a more tangible challenge since I have a
licensure test coming up with *phonology questions* on it that require the
mastery of the *International Phonetics Alphabet*.  I'm doing well enough
not to worry about flunking, but I thought you all (some of you all) would
like a shot at this passage. *View sample
passage<http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/courses/ipaexam/ipa-dict-sample.PDF>[pdf].
* The first sentence starts with something like this: 'wat abaut
'gauin te …Would
anyone know what dialect this is?   I have most of it transliterated into
'standard English' (non-IPA letters) and will post these in a bit. But I
can't really *hear* the text all that well as a spoken text.

    Also, please let me know if I titled this topic correctly or not, … I'm
curious about this passage that's all. Maybe you are too.

Peace Gael Fonken*
*

I found this passage at http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/ipa/ipa.html under the
topic of Examinations<http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/courses/ipaexam/ipa-exam.htm>question
2(a)…

Another resource for IPA symbols for all languages is this one-page chart: The
International Phonetic Alphabet
<http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/IPA_chart_%28C%292005.pdf>[pdf].