LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.07 (01) [E]

Mon Jan 7 17:56:01 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 January 2008 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.06 (04) [E]

From Gael Fonken, re:
 'wat abaut 'gauin te ....

Re my previous post, ignore that, I just said it out loud, and it sounds
like Black Country, West Midlands dialect (Wolverhampton, Wallsall,
somewhere like that).

Paul

----------

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.06 (07) [E]

Marcel wrote

I have looked at the phonetic transcription and it looks like good, solid
Standard English to me. It is very similar to Received Pronunciation, but
since there are only a few people who speak this, I'd guess it is the
so-called Estuary English.

I think not! No-one who speaks Estuary English would go to Regents Park to
look at the flowers or bother searching for a grape pipped covered cheese (
Tôme?) in a delicatessen!

;-)))))))

Estuary English is Cockney taken out to Essex: it is characterised by
glottal stops galore wha'  is tha'   and the inability to say  little (
likkle)  hospital ( 'os pi'al)  any medial ' th'  muvver  farver  bruvver
and the widest possible Eliza Doolittle vowels

Oi = I

moy wai =my way

Sorry no knowledge of phonetics which is why I read the passage to see if I
could work it out!!!

Very prevelant among the young stars of English soaps on TV EE is often
adopted by them to show 'street cred' the best example being the violinist
Nigel Kennedy who drops his hs and his ts in best Estuary fashion, but when
filmed as a youngster at the Yehudi Menhuin School spoke with a 'cut glass'
accent.

re Received Pronounciation . usually taken nowadays to be BBC standard so
spoken by lots and lots of people. It is meant to be English without any
hint of regional accent so 'barth'  not baath: car-sle  not cas-le. But then
those whose native /environment langauge says baath and cas-le would say
that the others are the ones with the accent!

The Upper Class / cut glass accent is heard less and less tho' you can still
hear it from time to time in interviews ( or down my local shop when the
shooting fraternity are about!). The best example there is the art critic
Brian Sewell and any 50s film of the Queen ( whose accent has levelled out
much over the years).

Sewell tells the story of how he returned from prep school one day having
been taunted by fellow pupils and asked his mother what elocution was.
"Something" she replied " you will never need"

Even he sounds less cut glass and more RP than he used to before he became a
TV personality.

Heather

Does she still say 'awf' ? or 'off'.
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Folks,

Perhaps some of you didn't look at the PDF file Gael referred us to. The bit
she gave us was not spelled correctly, and some of you may have been misled
by this.

Here is what it really says:

SAMPA:
"wQt @baUt "g at UIN t@ "ri:dZn=ts "pA:k | @nd "h{vIN @ "lUk @t D@ "sprIN "
flaU at z | bIfO: DeI "O:l gep "bl at Un @"weI | baI DIs "hQr at blÙ "wInd || DeI
"seI D@ "tju:lIps @ m{g"nIfIsn=t "DIS j3: || aIv "dZVs gQt t@ "tSeIndZ maI
"laIbri bUks | @n aI "wQnt@ "g at U t@ D@ "delIk@"tesn= SQp "neks "dO:|| DeIv
gQt "rA:D at r @ "naIs "tSi:z De@ | "kVv at d IN "greIp pIps || "If aI get @
"p{kIt @ "bIskIts @z "wel | wi "maIp ph{ps "sIt In D@ "pA:k | m= "meIk @
lItlÙ "pIknIk "Qv It || O: wUdZu "rA:D@ g at U "h at Um @n "sIp baI D@ "faI@ ||

IPA:
ˈwɒt əbaʊt ˈgəʊɪŋ tə ˈriːdʒn̩ts ˈpɑːk | ənd ˈhævɪŋ ə ˈlʊk ət ðə ˈsprɪŋ
ˈflaʊəz | bɪfɔː ðeɪ ˈɔːl gep ˈbləʊn əˈweɪ | baɪ ðɪs ˈhɒrəbl̩ ˈwɪnd || ðeɪ
ˈseɪ ðə ˈtjuːlɪps ə mægˈnɪfɪsn̩t ˈðɪʃ jɜː || aɪv ˈdʒʌs gɒt tə ˈʧeɪndʒ maɪ
ˈlaɪbri bʊks | ən aɪ ˈwɒntə ˈgəʊ tə ðə ˈdelɪkəˈtesn̩ ʃɒp ˈneks ˈdɔː || ðeɪv
gɒt ˈrɑːðər ə ˈnaɪs ˈʧiːz ðeə | ˈkʌvəd ɪŋ ˈgreɪp pɪps || ˈɪf aɪ get ə ˈpækɪt
ə ˈbɪskɪts əz ˈwel | wi ˈmaɪp phæps ˈsɪt ɪn ðə ˈpɑːk | m̩ ˈmeɪk ə lɪtl̩
ˈpɪknɪk ˈɒv ɪt || ɔː wʊdʒu ˈrɑːðə gəʊ ˈhəʊm ən ˈsɪp baɪ ðə ˈfaɪə ||

Standard Orthography:
What about going to Regents Park and having a look at the spring flowers
before they all get blown away by this horrible wind. They say the tulips
are magnificent this year. I've just got to change my library books and I
want to go to the delicatessen shop next door. They've got rather a nice
cheese there, covered in grape pips. If I get a packet of biscuits as well
we may perhaps sit in the park and make a little picnic of it. Or would you
rather go home and sit by the fire?

I've added the SAMPA and orthographic bit.

Isn't this just "ordinary" pronunciation of London, England?