LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.06 (07) [E]

Mon Jan 7 02:58:04 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 January 2008 - Volume 07

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.06 (04) [E]

Hello Gael,

You asked:

"But this week, I have a more tangible challenge since I have a licensure
test coming up with *phonology questions* on it that require the mastery of
the *International Phonetics Alphabet*.  I'm doing well enough not to worry
about flunking, but I thought you all (some of you all) would like a shot at
this passage. *View sample
passage<http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/courses/ipaexam/ipa-dict-sample.PDF>[pdf].
* The first sentence starts with something like this: 'wat abaut
'gauin te …Would
anyone know what dialect this is?   I have most of it transliterated into
'standard English' (non-IPA letters) and will post these in a bit. But I
can't really *hear* the text all that well as a spoken text.

I have looked at the phonetic transcription and it looks like good, solid
Standard English to me. It is very similar to Received Pronunciation, but
ince there are only a few people who speak this, I'd guess it is the
so-called Estuary English. The only thing that looks strange to me is the
realisation of "year" which is [j3:], which is also common in South Africa.
But maybe this is also normal in British English that is  being associated
with prestige.

Best regards,

Marcel.