LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.08 (08) [E]

Wed Jan 9 01:16:29 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  08 January 2008 - Volume 08

From: foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica"

*Elsie Zinsser wrote*:

I was hoping this discussion would be grouped under the subject *'language
education'*.
Slang within the context of a verbal interchange is acceptable, and
presumably part of a conversation typical to a certain group (as you have
elaborated at length), but surely not as a written catch phrase to a TV
channel of a public broadcaster.

*Reinhard wrote*:

Of course, as you know, "*public broadcasting*" is a rare and endangered
animal here in the US, and it is considered relatively "high-brow."

Dear Elsie,

   The differences between the US and other English speaking countries are
significant. But I think each country has established effective ways to
teach proper English. These play out in different ways, though, and focus on
different social goals.

   In the US, *institutions of higher education* are the primary enforcers
of standard English, which they use to "weed out" people in the first year
of college if they can't "write" English.  Unlike most every other country,
we have an army of college professors who teach only *First Year Composition
* classes to help them "stay in" the program. Of course that's expensive,
but no one can go on without demonstrating the ability to do "academic
quality" writing.  Too bad.  Making proper English into a different language
is our way of ensuring that the most vital high-status professional posts
are peopled only by proper English speakers (from proper middle class
backgrounds).  Beyond school this difference has many social uses—as an
authority barrier.  Professionals trained in this way are able to use their
correct speech and complicated vocabulary to mold a compliant work force and
even more compliant hospital patients.  I stress, this system works the best
when lower class citizens DON'T know how to speak correctly.

   I am presuming that your experience involves a system where *public
broadcasting* has been given this vital teaching role.  Naturally, the goals
would seem to be different too, to match the different means.  I agree that
this difference is important to unpack.  I assume that you also have
socialized medicine which is (appears to me) to be more service-oriented,
less manipulative of those it serves. Frequently, my international ESL
students complain to me that other high-status countries are more
civilly-conscious then the US.  But then, they come here anyway. Only
gradually do they learn that there is more to the good life than Hollywood,
big cars, and shopping malls. I wish American-born folks could someday
figure this out too.  In my opinion, education needs to include more than a
professional career focus.  It's interesting to consider how slang works in
this situation… and how it might have different functions in other
countries. I'm trying to listen.

Gael
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language education

Well, Gael ... Hear! Hear! (or "Here, here!" as some undergraduates or even
graduates would spell it) Very well put! These are the words of someone that
has dared to look across a fence or two.

Kudos to the Kahuna! Apparently he isn't as poorly informed as he usually
claims to be. He does know who really deserves to receive a "fragrant name"
and to be inducted into his Hall of Honors. (
http://lowlands-l.net/treasures/kahuna.htm)

However, outside humanities fields at American universities I still witness
linguistic and literary mayhem on a daily basis. But at least there is
little pretence and arrogance. Few such American-raised slaughters hesitate
to ask certain non-native speakers for help and advice. This is a rare and
refreshing quality, globally speaking, and it needs to be mentioned in these
American-bashing times.