LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.09 (02) [E]

Wed Jan 9 15:34:26 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  09 January 2008 - Volume 02

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.07 (07) [E]

 >>>From: Danette & John Howland <dan_how at msn.com>
>>>Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.07 (05) [E]
>>>
>>>Hello, all (I can never bring myself to say you guys--sounds vulgar to
me).

>>>                     Elsie wrote:

(Quote)  And I just noticed that apparently Dutch is the only
Germanic/W.European language that does not use the latin word "muscle" but
"spier". Anyone knows other Germanic languages that use a more "original"
word? (end quote)

>>>English retains the word "brawn," of germanic origin, I think. It seems
to me that brawn is less used in American >>>English than when I was a
child.
>>>John Howland

Thank you, very interesting! I don't think I've ever met this word before,
in English... www.etymonline.com traces it back to some older *brado, which
then confirmed my assumption this word is related to Southern
Dutch/Brabantish braai (sometimes spelled "brui" here, since both Dutch
"aai" and "ui" are pronounced as some kind of "oi"). Braai/brui is the
muscle in the back of your down leg, called "kuit" in St. Dutch.

Diederik

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

What a coincidence, Ron, in the village where I grew up, lived a family
named Wemmenhoven. That was in the village Zuidwolde, South Western part
of the province Drenthe, in the Northern Netherlands.
"Hoven" is simply the plural of "hof", meaning garden or court. There are
many Dutch toponyms ending in -hoven, such as Eindhoven. But why do you
ask, you know someone by that name?
Groetz
Ingmar

Ron Bronemann schreef:

I am seeking the meaning of "hoven" as used in surname WEMMENHOVEN.
I was unable to find any help in a Dutch dictionary.

En Elsie schreef:

And I just noticed that apparently Dutch is the only
Germanic/W.European language that does not use the latin word "muscle" but
"spier". Anyone knows other Germanic languages that use a more "original"
word?

Ja, Elsie, Dutch reserves this Latin derived word in the form of "mossels"
specially for mussels, I guess that's the same in Afrikaans? It's the
favorite food of my Zeeland-Flemish mother, relatives of her were mussel
fishers in Yerseke, another part of Zeeland. Groetz, Ingmar