LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.19 (05) [E]

Sat Jan 19 22:44:04 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  19 January 2008 - Volume 05

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.19 (04) [E]

According to H. Beem's "Resten van een taal - woordenboekje van het
Nederlands Jiddisch" (Remains of a language, dictionary of the Dutch-
Yiddish language) both "jofe" and "jofel" are from Hebrew "jafe" =
beautiful, and the latter form got its final -l by analogy of "sjofel"

And what about what I wrote about 'tuttig'?

Rein wrote:

Indeed, in the meantime I found the claim that *jofel* comes from Hebrew in
a couple of other places. One (
http://homepage.mac.com/schuffelen/duhebrew.html) claims that it comes from
Yiddish *jofe* and/or (<) Hebrew *jopheh* 'nice', 'useful' (sic), actually
'beautiful'. So it would be a word related to previously mentioned
*yofi*(both related to "beauty" as a sememe), and an
*-l* would have been added to it, supposedly in Bargoens, apparently not in
Yiddish (or does anyone know better?).

I'm somewhat skeptical about this and am wondering if this isn't just one
person's assumption adopted and perpetuated by others. Or is there is
actual
evidence for this? I find Mark's hunch about "jovial" as the origin much
easier to go swallow.

Any further info, especially evidence, would be welcome.
From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.19 (03) [E]

I always thought Dutch "jofel" was from Yiddish, because of it's
Amsterdam / Bargoens origin. So "jovial" would have nothing to do with it
then.

In colloquial Dutch "tuttig" is a very common adjective, meaning niminy
piminy, old fashioned, conservative, coy, conventional, bourgeois, naive,
simple minded, childish (mostly of women) etc. Seems to be the same word
as German LS  "tutig"

Ingmar