LL-L "Names" 2008.01.21 (02) [E/LS]

Mon Jan 21 17:53:29 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  21 January 2008 - Volume 02

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2008.01.20 (02) [LS]

Beste Utz,

Du froygst mii nao de *'Slamatjen-Brügg'*

in Hamburg.

*Door weyt 'ck heyl gonnix mit an-tou-fangen (no idea), mann- ick kann joo
mol tüünen (let me fantasise...)-:):*
**
*'Slimme-Deyrns-Brügg' ('bridge of the bad girls')??? 'Sloog de Deyrns'
('[location where to] punish the [nasty] girls')???? Edders 'slach' den'n
Matjes-Heyrn' ('slaughter [of] the maties [young herring]')??? No?*

The two women on the plate indeed seem to point to any connection with
'girls':
'Magd'>>'ma[g]tje'>>'Mädchen', and they obviously are in an intensive talk
(sey *schafudert* un' *sludert *[to gossip] woll...) with each other.
The origin of the word could be older, maybe corrupted, Dutch. Or something
very different, which as fast as possible ought to get a good new Low Saxon
name from our Heiko -;)!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

I remember reading quite a while ago something about "bad" women (that wore
certain styles of clothing) and their confinement or punishment involving a
certain bridge in Hamburg. I believe it was in Middle Saxon and contained in
the city senate's ordinance of the time. But I don't know if that was
related to this particular bridge, and I can't retrace my steps and find the
source. Can anyone help?