LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.24 (08) [D/E]

Thu Jan 24 21:27:56 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  24 January 2008 - Volume 08

From: Ronald Veenker <veenker at atmc.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.23 (04) [D/E]

Thanks, Mark.  I find our sources in consonance with each other.  I was
just dabbling in the trivia of my field.  I get so much good
information from this list, but have so little to give back.  Yes, the
Assyrian astrological vocabulary and the story of Abraham with his trip
to the stars is a nice fit.

Ron Veenker
Holden Beach NC

Family Home: Pilsum

Pilsum lighthouse

On Wednesday, January 23, 2008, at 03:08  PM, Lowlands-L List wrote:

> From:Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
> Subject:LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.23 (01) [E]
>
> Dear Ronald Veenker:
>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology"
>
> Further to your letter& mine:
>
> Just for the fun of it, etymologically speaking, the Hebrew _mazal_ is
> derived from the Babylonian word _manzazzu_ "constellation." I wish I
> could trace that for you, but my Assyrian Dictionary is currently in
> storage. I used to be to account for the _lamed_ in mazal... can you
> or Ron help me with this one?
>
> My 'authority' that mazalrefers to celestial destiny rests only on
> the Jewish sources, but I wouldn't on any account discount the
> information for that reason: After all, they are bough of the same
> branch, Jews & Assyrians.
>
> My 'Authority', having come home from Israeli folk dancing, has this
> to contribute:
> According to the commentries, Abraham was taken "above the stars' to
> count them. We may read from the text that The Lord sent him out (of
> his tent)to count the stars. This could equally well mean out (of the
> World). In any event Tradition makes the point that just as he was
> above the stars he was above celestial destiny over which they
> preside. My authority closes the Khumash & puts it down & goes looking
> for a snack.
>
> Yrs,
> Mark

Ronald Veenker
"Now and Zen"
623 Ocean Boulevard West
Holden Beach, NC 28462-1805
----------

From: Arend Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.23 (06) [D/E/LS/German]

Moi Ron, Ronald en Mark.

Nederlands Bargoens woordenboek.

Mazzel = Geluk.

"De Mazzel" = Heilwens als afscheidsgroet.

"Mazzel en brooche" = geluk en zegen

<Hebr.mazal. gesternte, vandaar geluk.

Arend Victorie.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com >
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Arend!

"Mazzel en brooche" = geluk en zegen
*Brooche* < Yiddish ברכה *brokhe *< Hebrew בְּרָכָה *brâkhâh* *'*blessing'