LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.25 (01) [A/E/LS]

Fri Jan 25 15:16:06 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 January 2008 - Volume 01

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2008.01.24 (05) [LS]

Haai almal,

Die woord herinner my aan die Moslem groetwoord 'salaam'.

Hier aan die Kaap is 'n 'Slamaaier' dus ook 'n Moslem gelowige. Die benaming
is 'n argaiëse vorm en nie meer gebruiklik in Afrikaans nie.

Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.01.24 (07) [E]

Maybe this should be moved to category "Etymolgy"  Ron?

Since we are all talking about "cows and calves and milk" my thoughts
meandered to the Dutch word "biest" (the first milk that the cow gives after
the calf is born. It is full of extra goodies so that the young one has a
good chance of survival) My etymological dictionary gives the following
derivations MD "Biest"  Old-Saxon and Old-High German "biost" and
Old-English "beast". and is not shown to be related to Modern D "Beest",
English "Beast" Is the "bios" part here from Greek?

Who knows?  Jacqueline

By the way, I keep wondering why in Old English and Old German May is
referred to by "three milks":

·         *May*:

o        *Mai ~ Maimaand** *("May month")

§         OS *winnemânut*h ("bliss month")

§         OLF *winnemânôth*

§         OG *winnimânôd*

§         *OE þrimilcemōnaþ ("three-milks month")*

§         *OG drîmilki*
Might it be because three types of farm animals have had their young by
then?

----------

From: Utz H. Woltmann <uwoltmann at gmx.de>

Arend Victorie scheef:

> Wat betreft Slamat(je).
>
> In 't nederlaands woordenboek stiet de beschrieving dat 't  een
> indonesische woord is en "gelok" of "veule heil" betiekend.

Besten Dank Arend,

mi dücht, dat geiht in Richt up dat jiddische 'masl', D = mazzel; G =
Massel.

Mit heel fründliche Grötens!

Utz H. Woltmann