LL-L "Traditions" 2008.01.25 (02) [E]

Fri Jan 25 15:21:14 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 January 2008 - Volume 02

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.01.24 (04) [E]

Ron says:  By the way, I keep wondering why in Old English and Old German
May is referred to by "three milks":

·         *May*:

o        *Mai ~ Maimaand** *("May month")

§         OS *winnemânut*h ("bliss month")

§         OLF *winnemânôth*

§         OG *winnimânôd*

§         *OE þrimilcemōnaþ ("three-milks month")*

§         *OG drîmilki*

Might it be because three types of farm animals have had their young by
then?

Or maybe the farmer can milk the cows three times a day because the milk is
so plentyful? Jacqueline
----------

By the way, I keep wondering why in Old English and Old German May is
referred to by "three milks":

   - *May*:
      - *Mai ~ Maimaand *("May month")
         - OS *winnemânut*h ("bliss month")
         - OLF *winnemânôth*
         - OG *winnimânôd*
         - *OE þrimilcemōnaþ ("three-milks month")*
         - *OG drîmilki*

Might it be because three types of farm animals have had their young by
then?

Many years ago I read that this name came from the fact that the grass was
rich enough for the milch cows to be milked thrice a day. Now, I haven't
milked a cow since I was ten years old, but we never did more than two
milkings a day.

Best to all,

John Howland