LL-L "Language use" 2008.07.03 (05) [E]

Thu Jul 3 20:20:46 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 03 July 2008 - Volume 05

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2008.07.03 (01) [E]

 Beste Travis,

first of all: like the 'Great Kahuna' I'm enjoying your postings very much.

But- I've got some problems to understand all of your thoughts. This may be
due to your splendid level of linguistic intelligence but could also be a
result of the fact that I have some difficulties to find your
reference/thread. As you meanwhile might have experienced we sometimes have
a good quantity of 'traffic', and a lot of wise people feel animated to
write a lot of wise stuff ;-)!

So, if you won't mind, just give me (and others) a better chance to follow
you. Maybe it could be helpful to read the rules and guidelines of this
unique and 'gemuetlich' forum:  http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.php From my
point of view you're welcomed *'to be a bit (more) of pedant'* also as far
as our conventions are concerned ;-)!

Please don't resent me my words!

With friendly regards

Jonny Meibohm

BTW: Obschounst ick dat jao gonne drövv (dat Mengleern van 'postings'), segg
ick maol, dat ick bi uns Arend in siin mail
LL-L "Language use" 2008.07.02 (06) [LS]
ouk ne recht begrepen hebb, wat hey woll meent hett ;-)?! Kannitverstaan,
Arend *s*!

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Hi, Jonny!

Thanks for letting Travis and Arend know that you don't understand all that
they wrote.

(I don't know what you mean by the Kahuna, though, for he didn't say
anything.)

Perhaps it would help if you let them know exactly *what* you don't
understand. This would be more helpful and would give them a chance to
explain. This would be useful to pretty much everyone: it would explain
difficult terminology and theory, in Arend's case would allow all of us to
understand his Drenthe Low Saxon dialect better, and would point out to the
"experts" with what concepts people have problems. In the end all of us
would be learning.

I personally prefer this approach to asking Travis to lower the level of his
communication. On the other hand, I don't advocate deliberately raising the
bar either, and I'm quite sure that's not what Travis did. (Concepts may be
difficult but can be conveyed in plain language.)  I find his contributions
extremely interesting, thought-provoking and informative. I guess you do to,
why it is that you are so keen to make sense of them.

But, really, this is just my personal opinion. In the end we should go with
what most people prefer. As much as possible we should avoid leaving people
behind and at the same time should avoid holding people back.

To tell you the truth, I get something out of almost every posting. Everyone
has something to share and to teach, at the very least let everyone know
what is problematic for them. It's all a give-and-take, as the professional
educators among us will agree.

My suggestion presupposes that people are not too shy or embarrassed to ask
questions, to admit that they don't understand something. I sure hope they
aren't. You, Jonny, are setting an example in this regard. Thanks.