LL-L "Traditions" 2008.07.03 (06) [D/E/German]

Thu Jul 3 23:30:20 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 03 July 2008 - Volume 06

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.07.02 (02) [D/E]

from Heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Jenny wrote:

"Een damespaard, een damespaard, een damespaard gaat zo (hop slowly)

Een herenpaard, een herenpaard, een herenpaard gaat zo (hop a bit faster)

En een boerenpaard, een boerenpaard, een boerenpaard gaat zo (hop really
wild)

Oei, gat in de weg" (child 'disappears' between your knees)

How lovely to see another version.This must be one of the most universal
games between parent and child!!

In English we have:-

This is the way the ladies ride tritt trott tritt trott tritt trott

This is the way the farmer rides canter canter canter

and this is the way the huntsman rides gallop gallop gallop

..and down into the ditch!

With the action getting faster with each line until the child is dropped
between the knees on the last line.

In German

So fahren die Damen

So reiten die Herrn

So jucken die Bauer zur Stadt

... but I can't recall whether there is the final ' drop' line. Hoping that
someone will fill it in for me ........... if there is one!

In Opie's Oxford Book of Nursery Rhymes they recount the same game being
played to nonsense words in ( I think) somewhere in Holland. But as the
nonsense words start off with something like Humpty Dumpty, they concluded
that it was a remnant from the 18th century British soldiers who played
Humpty Dumpty with the children in their billets.

However the 'drop' line in Humpty Dumpty comes at the beginning rather than
the end:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall  ( drop!)

All the King's horses and all the King's men

Couldn't put Humpty together again.

from Heather
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Thanks Heather.

What do you "guys" think? Wouldn't this and things like it be great posted
as parts of the new Traditions series? Start/keep collecting stuff,
everyone!

What would be *really* cool is a video performing this with a baby (or doll,
for all I care). :-) Anyone game?

Here another one in German, with the same game:

Hoppe, hoppe, Reiter,
Wenn er fällt, dann schreit er.
Fällt er in die Hecken,
Tut er sich erschrecken.