LL-L "Grammar" 2008.07.14 (05) [E]

Mon Jul 14 23:10:38 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 14 July 2008 - Volume 05

From: Heiko.evermann at gmx.de
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2008.07.14 (01) [E]

> Dear Jonny, but you should know there is also a NEW Latin, without gender,
> difficult verb conjungations, cases etc. and there you have that world
> language you were talking about: Interlingua.
> Check the site http://www.interlingua.com/

Well, I had a look at http://www.interlingua.com, read a bit and it hurts my
eyes. I have digged a bit further:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlingua_grammar
Oh, no, what a mess compared to the nice, simple grammar of Esperanto.

The German Wikipedia lists 1500 speakers of interlingua, whereas Esperanto
passes the million.

Esperanto, too, does not have gender distinction, it does not have difficult
conjugations, it only has two cases (nominative and accusative) which allows
for a great flexibility of expression and it has a vocabulary that is easy
understand plus it comes with a nice sysematic approach to word formation.

If anyone ever needs a planned language, Esperanto is ready. The only
drawback
is that the major players involved (like e.g.) the Americans, do not want a
planned language.

Hartlich Gröten,

Heiko

----------

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com> <Heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2008.07.14 (04) [E]

I'm no expert on Chinese, but actually there are a number of 'particles'
that are quite effective in indicating verb aspect as completed, as ongoing,
as a continuing state, etc.  So it's not like they don't have complexity,
they just don't have morphological complexity.
Stan
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Grammar
>
> to a range of families. Among the Sino-Tibetan languages, for example,
> take the Chinese ones...
>       * Gender: none
>       * Plural: only in three personal pronouns
>       * Verb tense: none, except one particle expressing change and
>         another expressing progress
>       * Word inflection: none
> As in the case of English, sentence structure is rigid because it
> plays an important grammatical role.

Um... good point. Would it be possible to invent a grammar-sparse
language which still allowed a flexible sentence order, I wonder? Are
there any natural languages like that?

I suppose it could be that the two principles conflict logically.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/