LL-L "Culenaria" 2008.06.05 (05) [E]

Thu Jun 5 18:33:31 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 05 June 2008 - Volume 05

From: clarkedavid8 at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Culenaria" 2008.06.05 (03) [E

Heather wrote:

Pastai Brain Bach = rook pie in Welsh and it was well known enough to appear
on a tea towel I was given that featured Welsh recipes. I was reliably
informed back in the 70s by a neighbour on Anglesey that rook are like
seagull - best caught live in a trap, kept for a week and fed 'clean' food'
i.e. corn / bread to take away the bad  taste of their flesh. Then they are
killed and just the breasts used to fill a pie.

 Only last year I bought a dozen rooks' breasts from Borough market in
London SE1. I stewed them but their flavour was unremarkable - like pigeon.
Perhaps they needed more skilful handling. I havent seen them on sale there
since, however!

David Clarke

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Of course! Eating Crow may have two different connotations and obviously is
not the best "eating bird". But, Man being omnivorous, we ate birds as soon
as we could get them from the sky with slingshot, glue stick or net.
Therefore the idea of "bird pie" seems to be pretty universal; There is
Chicken Potpie and Tourtiere, but  I think the Moroccan Bisteeyia – Pigeon
Pie with almonds and sugar – is the best of all. Happy munching, Jacqueline