LL-L "Semantics" 2008.06.27 (05) [E]

Fri Jun 27 14:23:41 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 27 June 2008 - Volume 05

From: Travis Bemann <tabemann at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2008.06.26 (02) [E]

The matter with this is that while the Anglic languages are
genetically very much West Germanic, it seems to in many ways
actuallly areally pattern with North Germanic or the most northern Low
German languages rather than with the rest of West Germanic. A lot of
such is likely just coincidental (or still just fuzzy in the way that
areal phenomena tend to be), but the matter still stands that the
Germanic language that has had the most outside influence upon Anglic
is Old Norse, and the only other Germanic languages with really any
significant influence upon it are the West Germanic dialects spoken
along the southeastern coast of the North Sea (which have themselves
been somewhat influenced by the southernmost North Germanic dialects).

----------

From: Wolfram Antepohl <wolfram at antepohl.se>

Just a little correction: Liten is used for the singular, små is for the
plural in Swedish - no difference i meaning otherwise (in contrast to
English)
So it's

en liten bil (a/one small car)
(den) lilla bilen (the small car)
små bilar (small cars)
(de) små bilarna (the small cars)

There is even "smal" which is a loan from Low Saxon, meaning "narrow",
"slim"

Hence the same word originally but in two different forms. One north
germanic, the other a Low Saxon loan - quite a usual phenomenon in the
Scandinavian languages.

Greetings

Wolfram Antepohl

Wolfram Antepohl
Lindesbergsgatan 4
582 53 Linköping
013-125243
073-6002667
wolfram at antepohl.se

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Semantics

Hi, Wolfram!

It's great you joined us in the speakers' corner. Welcome!