LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.06.29 (04) [E]

Sun Jun 29 16:23:25 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 29 June 2008 - Volume 01

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Language varieties

> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: LL-L History was Re: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.06.23 (03)
[E]
> 3. Language
 > Peusgen's Pierrot, *Alles wat däer at ömmer weete woolt över Kelemes än
Omjebung*, CD with 26 contributions, published by BRF-2, 2007 (
http://www.brf.be/brf2).
> "Kelmis" http://www.kelmis.be is the new name "undivided Moresnet" got in
Belgium in 1919. Kelmis absorbed some other municipalities in the seventies.

> The CD is in stock at the "logos" bookshop downtown Eupen (
http://www.logos.be) <http://www.logos.be%29/>
[10 euro]

Here are 2 samples from this CD. For me the language is Ripuarian (The area
is also just East of the Bernrath isogloss)
We are in a transition area, with more or less influence of standard German
additionally.
Mark the differences between these 2 tracks, both associated with the Kelmis
area.

Track 3, *De Modersprook* von und mit Peter Zimmer, 1:7 min
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/3zimmer.wma

Track 19, *Kelemes* von und mit Jakob Langohr, 2:54 min
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/19kel.wma

The Sankt Vith area is classified as Moselle-Franconian, except from the
North of this district, which is rather a transition area between Ripuarian
and Moselle-Franconian.
A special case is the isolated village *Recht*, adjacent to the Walloon area
(The village got some immigration from Tirol in the Prussian time)

Here follows a track from:
*Mir kallen und schwätze Platt*, Die erste CD in Eifeler Mundart
BRF2, double-CD, 15 euro at Logos,
text transcription booklet on DINA4 for 5 euro at Logos.

CD2 Track1 *Reet,* Gedicht: Bertha Vohsen, 2:19 min
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/2_1_reet.wma
with scan of the text page:
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/reet.jpg

Publications, incl. CD's, of the Eastern districts in Belgium can also been
found on the region shelves at the Mayersche in Aachen;
http://www.mayersche.de/

Regards,
Roger