LL-L "Morphology" 2008.06.30 (07) [E]

Mon Jun 30 22:50:22 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 30 June 2008 - Volume 07

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2008.06.30 (04) [E]

Ingmar,
To add some interest to this non-Lowlands Question, you might find
interesting that in Sicilian, the definite articles are EITHER "o" or
"lo"/"lu" (feminine a/la), with the difference being, I believe, regional.
My knowledge is not first-hand.
Stan

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2008.06.29 (03) [E]

Yes, you wonder right.
Ivison, what is the origin of the O + A articles in Portuguese?
In Spanish it's EL + LA, in Italian IL + LA, in French LE + LA?
I know Ptg dropped its middle L and N - I guess the word Portuguese is
from PortugaLese itself - so may O and A be from eLo and eLa?
And was "elo" the neuter article, I'd expect masculine to end in -e "eLe"?

Ciao, obrigado
Ingmar