LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.03.17 (02) [E]

Mon Mar 17 17:10:34 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 17 March 2008 - Volume 02
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Georg.Deutsch at esa.int
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.03.15 (03) [D/E]

Thank you Ron, Luc, Ingmar, Theo and Manbijhetwater for your valuable
comments on
"Hebban Olla Vogala Nestas Higunnan Hinase Hic Enda Thu, Uuat Unbidan Uui
Nu?" !

From all your explanations (and some consultations on internet) I am now
more convinced that this is indeed rather Old Low Franconian than "Kentish"
(Old Limburgian seems to me anyhow out of question, where ever you might
have seen this proposed, Ron). Especially Ingmar's comment * appears to make
the case for Kentish unlikely.

Thank you Luc also for your very interesting  btw*!
(and now at least I would understand your mother if I'd hear her saying
"twáá").

A funny aspect is that the text in question can be assigned eventually to
South-west Flemish in todays France, which would mean that the oldest
"Dutch" text comes from a region where Dutch today practically is extinct.

I know, however, that this text, whilst often quoted as the oldest known
Dutch text, is probably not the oldest. Still, obviously it is attractive to
quote as oldest text a love poem, rather than a glossary or a bloody violent
heroic lay.

Best regards

Georg

*
From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder
<*ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL*<ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL_>

[…]I think in Anglo Saxon, there would not be a V but an F in vogala, no i
but e in uui (we), no uuat but huuat, no hic but i/iç, etc.
So that would make this little text Flemish, and that is part of Dutch.

**
From: Luc Hellinckx <*luc.hellinckx at gmail.com* <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com_>>
[…]By the way, "hinase" means "except": hinase < hit ne se, which has become
"tenzij" in modern Dutch, "unless". As far as I know, "tenzij" is no dialect
term these days, but "tenware" (< het en ware) definitely is, my mom uses it
quite frequently, pronounced "twáá".