LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.23 (05) [E]

Sun Mar 23 18:13:52 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 23 March 2008 - Volume 05
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.21 (07) [E]

> From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.21 (03) [E]
>
> Beste Ron,
>
> thanks for your answer!
>
> > I know lurig as 'sultry', similar to bruddig
> Could be G: 'drückend(e) [Luft]', and then it would be a small step to
> G: 'gedrückte(r) Stimmung (sein)'!?
>
> > For 'sad', 'depressed', 'listless', etc., I know and use slurig,
> which in some dialects and in some contexts can also mean either
> > 'suspiciously' or 'slovenly' as an adverb.
> Yes- there you are d'accord with GRIMM. I just knew it in the
> 'slovenly'-sense.

I wonder if this could be related to the English "lurgy", which means
some vague unspecified illness (often actually too much partying!) which
makes you feel like death warmed up?

The Goons used this word copiously, I believe, as in the phrase "the
dreaded lurgy", but did they make it up or does it predate them?

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/