LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.03.27 (05) [E]

Fri Mar 28 00:51:08 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: orville crane <manbythewater at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.03.27 (03) [E]

Heather,
  Will have to read Michael Erard's article in The New Scientist, 'English
as she is spoke'.
  So many world-wide regional variations of the English language! I remember
reading years ago about an international Scrabble competition in Great
Britain. Americans had to brush up on another 40,000 words to be up to snuff
with the English speakers in Great Britain. I realized then that if this was
accurate, the version of English spoken in Great Britain was a richer
variety that that spoken in the United States!
  So many varieties of English; Indian, South African, Australian, New
Zealand, American, Canadian, European, etc. It seems to me that even though
'friend' might be pronounced 'frien' or 'fren', that the word would still be
spelled as 'friend', even though the 'd' would not be pronounced. The
efforts to rationalize English orthography haven't been really successful.
There is no English Academy to standardize the spelling of to keep 'foreign'
words out of the vernacular.
  I have already heard 'I have went' and other instances of using the past
tense of irregular verbs in place of the past perfect tense of these verbs.
It is jarring to my own ear, although I understand the speaker. Being the
courteous person, I don't correct the speaker, as I am able to understand
them.
  I will have to seek out the article.
Tom
man by the water

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Tom!

> I have already heard 'I have went'

Wow! Really? So far I have only come across constructions like "I
should/would have went" in American English, and that seems to be on the
increase. I have been "armed" with the challenge "Would you say 'I have
went'?" According to what you say, this has been blown out of the water then