LL-L "Delectables" 2008.03.30 (04) [E]

Sun Mar 30 16:57:53 UTC 2008

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Vocabulary

In this country (Belgium) books are often published in the 2 main national
languages, and it is often interesting to buy both versions and compare.

Here follow some comments on:
- Eric Boschman & Natthalie Derny, De smaak van de Belgen, 2006, Lannoo,
Tielt, ISBN 978-90-209-6878-1
 - Eric Boschman & Natthalie Derny, Le goût des Belges, 2006, Racine,
Bruxelles, ISBN 978-2-87386-481-1
160 pp with ill. in colors (The taste of the Belgians)

(Belgian) Dutch vocabulary taken over in (Belgian) French

- Waterzooi van vis
- Waterzooi de poissons
Waterzooi is fish prepared with vegetables and potatoos in a kind of soup.

 - Waterzooi van kip
- Waterzooi de volaille
Similarely with chicken

- Ballekes Bier
- Le Ballekes Bier
Meat balls as to Brabantish recipee, prepared with "geuze" or "faro" beer

- Potjesvlees
- Le Potjesvlees
Pieces of differend kind of meat and vegetables cought in a stiff jelly.
In Northern France I found it often spelled as Potjevleesch

- Stoemp
- Le stoemp
Also "stoemp" in my West-Limburgish.
Potato mixed up with vegetables (mostly cabbage), mostly served with bacon
and mustard
(cf. Dutch: hutsepot, std French: hochepot)

- Bloedpens
- Le bloedpens
(black/blood pudding), Std French: boudin, std Dutch bloedworst,
bloedbeuling)
"Roi pens" in my West-Limburgish.

- Ribbetjes
- Les ribbetjes
(piece of ribs marinated and prepared in a single piece)

- Koeken
- Les couques
Wat is illustrated in the text corresponds to std French "brioches",
"viennoises", Belgian Dutch "koffiekoeken", here often served for breakfast.
Rather hollow pastry, so not comparable with the Anglo-Saxon breakfast
muffins.

- Krentenbrood
- Cramique
A "mik" was in my Limburgish a better bread prepared with milk. As to the
dictionary in std Dutch it rather refers to rye bread. In Belgian Dutch one
often uses "kramiek" for krentenbrood. In my Limburgish "kréntemik".
Krent = currant. Raisin (de Corinthe) in French.

Common Belgian vocabulary for buns, bread rolls ("broodje" in std Dutch,
"petit pain" in Std French):
- round ones, with a hard crust buth soft inside, becoming completely hard
after a day:
  - De pistolet
  - Le pistolet
- oval ones, remaning soft for several days
  - De sandwich
  - Le sandwich mou

Also Belgian I think:
- Appelflap  (but "gozet" in my West-Limburgish)
- La gosette
Apple turnover (apple in puff pastry), "Chausson" in France,
Maybe the layered pastry has been associated with a newspaper, gazette

One I cannot translate (a typical Brussels dish)
- Choesels
- Les Choesels
Pieces of pancreas and other organs as e.g. kidney prepared in geuze beer.
Kids often define it as testicle parts of bulls, but that is not correct.

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: addendum Re: Vocabulary

A few more

For recuperating old food:

- Wentelteefjes (turnable little bitches)
- Le pain perdu (lost bread)
Old bread soaked in milk, turned in egg yellow, fried and covered with brown
sugar

- Bodding
- Le Bodding
I have no idea about the etymology, I don't think it is French.
Old bread and old coffee are recuperated, with addition of beated eggs,
milk, sugar, butter, currant, pieces of apple, baked into a cake.

The first item above is called pain perdu "lost bread" in Belgian French.
We have a "verloren maandag" (lost Monday) in Antwerp in the beginning of
the year.
That's the day of Worstenbrood, sausage in puff pastry (bladerdeeg, pâte
feuilletée).
In the book they give for it in Belgian French:
- l'avisance
It must link to some walloon terminology.
It apparently is a typical dish for the Namur area.

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Lowlands food

 Belgians do not believe in French fries, just in Belgian fries.
Belgian fries are known for a perfect caramellization of the starch of the
potato at its skin, what makes it super-tasty.

The newpaper "Belang van Limburg" of this weekend spended 2 full pages on 2
Limburgish guys (Mauro Mercuri from Tervant and Davy Swinnen from Eversel)
starting with a Belgian frietkot in Cape Town. It is called:
" Het Frituurtje
  Great Belgian Food".
Shop 8, Blaauwberg Mall, Marine Circle | Blaauwberg Road | 7441 | Table View

Since the 2 guys combined with managing an IT company, I thought they must
have a web site.
I found this indeed:
http://www.frituurtje.co.za/menu.html
http://www.frituurtje.co.za/